Perinatal Mental Health Team
Location: county wide
The Perinatal Mental Health Team is for pregnant women with a pre-existing mental illness or who encounter problems for the first time during or after their pregnancy.
The Perinatal Mental Health Team specialises in the assessment, diagnosis and short-term treatment of women affected by a moderate to severe mental health illness in the preconception, antenatal and postnatal period. The team promotes wellbeing during pregnancy, prevention of relapse and assist with birth planning.
The Perinatal Mental Health Team also offer:
- information and advice around preceoncetion, conceptiion and antenatal advice to women suffering from a mental inllness.
- A consultaion which may lead to further intervention
- An assessment of you and your needs during pregnancy. You will then have a say in devisinbg a relevent care plan for you.
- Planning for the postnatal period so as to prevent relapse of symptoms of mental ill health
- Advice on types of medication deemed most appropriate around pregnancy
- Signposting to other services, if necessary, to offer help and support.
- Support for up to 6 weeks following birth if the problems started during pregnancy or postnatally.