Child Development Centres (CDCs)
Location: county wide
Child Development Centres
There are four Child Development Centres (CDCs) in Cornwall based in Liskeard, St Columb Major, Truro and Penzance. There is also a CDC teacher that supports children in the Launceston and Bude areas.
For pre-school children CDCs offer:
- Specialist short term nursery provision (2-3 terms) either by the child attending ( in reach placement), or through support to another setting (outreach placement) or a combination of these.
- Multi agency assessment
- Minimum ratios of 1:3 with a qualified teacher and a nursery nurse
- Supported transition to local early years settings or to school depending on the child’s age
- Specialist teacher and Speech and Language Therapist intervention
- Placement at a centre for 2 or 3 sessions per week during term time, preferably alongside their local mainstream setting in an in reach placement or support at their local Early Years Setting by the CDC staff in an outreach placement
This place is not additional to the 15 hours of Early Funding entitlement, but counted as part of it.
Requests for CDC involvement will be through the Early Years Inclusion Service, Education or Health Professionals. Places are allocated by a central multi-agency panel. Parental preferences for direct attendance or outreach support will be established prior to a request being made
For more information: