Alcohol and Young People
Handy hints for staying safe on a night out
Before you go out:
- Make sure your phone is charged and has credit.
- Eat something before you go out to line your stomach.
- Take condoms out with you, just in case.
- Drink water before, during and after a night out, to stay hydrated.
- Plan how you’re getting home, save enough money for a bus or taxi.
During your night out:
- Never accept drinks from someone you don’t know, and don’t go back to a drink you’ve left unattended.
- Do not mix alcohol with other drugs, legal or illegal. It is impossible to know the effects.
- Drink water or a soft drink between alcoholic drinks, to stay hydrated.
- Try and eat something if drinking over a period of time.
- Do not walk home on country roads or unlit streets, and do not use coast paths or cliff-tops as short cuts. Alcohol affects your coordination and reaction times.
- Stay with your mates, don’t wander off.
- Look after your mates, don’t let them wander off or leave them behind.
- Be aware that if someone is drunk, they may lack the capacity to consent to sex.
After your night out:
- Drink some water before you go to sleep.
- The next day eat healthy foods rich in Vitamin C, to speed up recovery.
- If you’ve over-indulged, try and take the whole week off alcohol to let your body recover.